Getting ready to refinance your mortgage? Keep this checklist handy throughout the entire process to keep things moving smoothly from beginning to closing.
- Find a local mortgage broker at findamortgagebroker.com to discuss your options.
- Review your current mortgage. Know your outstanding balance, the number of years remaining and your current interest rate.
- Identify your purpose for refinancing. Is it to lower your monthly payment? Pay off your home faster? Pay off credit card or other debt? Fund a home improvement? Know your goals so you can choose the right loan.
- Consider the refinancing cost. Talk to your mortgage broker about closing costs and fees so you can determine whether refinancing is a smart move.
- Have your mortgage broker pull your credit report. Make sure there are no errors on any of the credit bureau reports. A higher score may qualify you for a lower rate.
- Review your loan options. Your mortgage broker can review loan rates and term options with you depending on your needs.
- Gather documents. Required documents typically include pay stubs, W-2s, tax returns, two months of bank statements, proof of homeowners and title insurance, and statement of assets and debts. As a reminder, many lenders can now electronically pull your income and asset statements, so ask your mortgage broker what is needed.
- Relax, knowing you’re in good hands with your mortgage broker who works on your behalf.